As schools start to move away from focussing on academics, and begin to understand the benefits of fundamental skills such as empathy or resilience.It is important to have a list of tangible exercises that parents can implement at home.
Here’s this week’s top 10:
• Discuss the origins of food and why we should consume them. What do they do for our body?
• Provide your child with appropriately sized furniture and allow them to take responsibility for it. “I’m cleaning my table, are you doing yours?”
• Show pictures of your life and relate them to real stories. (The man is wearing white for 1 year because his mother died)
• Promote politeness and gratitude. Even for the smallest things. Model this behaviour.
• Spend time with people of all ages and allow your child to engage with all of them. There’s a lot to learn from leading and being lead.
• Enjoy learning about different religions and discuss other beliefs. Grow acceptance and understanding.
• Encourage a diverse lifestyle. Visit other areas of town, eat a variety of foods and encourage a multicultural home.
• Tell jokes and play tricks on each other. Allow your child to have a sense of humour. Teach them how to take a joke.
• Take your child to work sometimes and show them exactly what you do. Make it all real.