We often take nature for granted! There’s a tree, and a flower and I just ate a banana!! But how do they grow? What do they do for us?
Here are 12 facts to get your children very excited about plants!!!
1) 85% of plant life is found in the ocean.
2) Lots of plants are used as dyes. You can colour cloth with stewed onion skin, tea bags or walnut juice. One of the oldest blue dyes comes from a plant called ‘woad’ that has been used since Neolithic times – more than 6,000 years ago.
3) Brazil is named after a tree.
4) Stress relief can be achieved with chemicals in freshly-cut grass, according to scientists.
5) 70,000 plant species are utilized for medicine.
6) 2009 is the year scientists discovered a plant in the Philippines that is capable of devouring rats.
7) More than 20 percent of the world oxygen is produced in the Amazon Rainforest.
8) Dandelion is completely edible, from the petals to the roots.
9) The first certified botanical garden was founded by Pope Nicholas III in the Vatican City in 1278 AD.
10) The earth has more than 80,000 species of edible plants.
11) The smell of freshly-cut grass is actually a plant distress call.
12) Plants can recognise their siblings and give them preferential treatment.
Write them on the whiteboard ❤️