The standard method of teaching where the teacher stands at the front, lectures the children on a specific topic and then expect them to retain it, doesn’t work!
Here are 7 steps to wholistic retention displayed below and here’s how to implement each and every one of them.
1. Lecture – direct instruction from the teacher, simply inspiring students and informing them about the learning goal! Get them hooked!
2. Reading – the class and yourself will read a text based on the topic. This is the foundation for discussion later. Read together!
3. Audiovisual – the class are asked to watch or listen to more information on the topic in their own time. This assists non- literal learners.
4. Demonstration – the teacher models an activity of his/her choice. This sets the expectations to the students and demonstrates your knowledge.
5. Discussion – The groups are required to discuss the topic, plan activities, hypothesise and nut-out any problems they may face.
6. Practice – The students carry out their research, compile their evidence and complete their project. This is independent and could take up to 1 week!
7. Teach others – the students use their finished product to teach others about what they learned.
#teacher #montessori #education
Let’s make the change! ❤️