Should you encourage pet ownership?
Pets are important in children’s lives as they provide enjoyment and help children develop responsibilities transferable to adulthood.
Sometimes pet relationships are ranked higher than certain kinds of human relationships for comfort, esteem, support and confidence. Some benefits of pet ownership have been identified family harmony and even health.
Having a relationship with a pet can help develop such skills as:
• Nurturing skills
• A caring attitude
Studies have shown that children with pets:
• Have higher self esteem
• Have improved social skills
• Are more likely to be physically active, and less likely to be overweight or obese
• Pet ownership also has a beneficial effect on family harmony.
• Research shows that families with a pet spend a lot more time interacting
• Have a basis for fun activities and friendly conversation including the important topics of life
• The relaxation and relief from stress provided by animal companionship also yields health benefits for parents. In comparison with their pet-less counterparts.
Owning a pet can be a delightful family experience and has enormous benefits for the child and the family.
What are your thoughts?