How can nature improve your classroom? I believe that it is absolutely crucial to include nature studies in the education of children for several reasons:
- Nature has a calming effect and can help reduce stress and improve mental health.
- Learning about nature can foster an appreciation and understanding of the natural world, which can encourage children to become stewards of the environment.
- Nature study can provide opportunities for hands-on, experiential learning and can be a fun and engaging way for children to learn about science and other subjects.
- To include nature studies in education, here are a few ideas:
- Take students on nature walks and encourage them to observe and document what they see.
- Set up a nature center in the classroom or school grounds where students can observe and learn about plants and animals.
- Incorporate nature-based activities into lesson plans, such as having students plant seeds and track their growth or creating nature-inspired art projects.
- Encourage students to spend time outside during recess and other breaks.
And why should we bother? Well there are many reasons, but here’s a few you might not know! Exposure to nature does the following ….
- Increases the release of serotonin: Exposure to nature has been shown to increase the release of serotonin in the brain, which can improve mood and reduce feelings of anxiety and depression.
- Reduces stress: Being in nature has been shown to reduce the production of the stress hormone cortisol, which can lead to feelings of relaxation and stress relief.
- Improves attention and memory: Research has found that spending time in nature can improve attention and memory by reducing distractions and providing a calming and restorative environment.
- Increases creativity: Some studies have shown that being in nature can improve creativity by providing a sense of inspiration and a change of scenery.
- Promotes physical health: Spending time in nature can also have positive effects on physical health, such as reducing blood pressure, improving immune function, and increasing physical activity.
So how will you incorporate nature into your classroom?
#education #school #learning #change #help #students #growth #health #opportunities #mentalhealth #science #research #inspiration #environment