Hold yourself accountable
In my career I’ve worked all over the world with children from a diverse range of backgrounds. It wasn’t until I had been teaching 5 years, I was teaching a year 5 class who were so terrible that each and every day was a struggle.
Until I realised that the reason they’d ended up like this was because teachers had mismanaged them previously. With each one quitting after the other.
I decided to make some new class rules, not for the children, but for me. I held myself accountable to the children and the power was suddenly with them.
Here’s what I pledged;
1. I will not judge you based on the past. Let’s scrap history.
2. I will never send you to the principal’s office. You’re my class, your problems are my problems.
3. I’m here if you want to talk.
4. I will not allow you to badmouth or discriminate other students.
5. Grades mean nothing to me, your growth is what I care about. How far have you come?
6. I will never raise my voice or get angry at you. But I might get upset or let down.
7. I will try my best to be here each and every day.
8. I will always tell you to keep going and never give up.
9. I will prepare well, so your lessons are fun.
10. I will never humiliate you in front of your friends.
11. I’m here ❤️