Even though we strive for our students to reach their full potential, As teachers we must make sure they stay grounded.
We want them to keep searching for those hidden gems of knowledge they only find through exploration. Here are my top 5 ways.
1. We all know that teachers are smart but don’t tell the children everything you know. Only give them 20% of your knowledge but scaffold your lesson to allow them to discover the rest independently.
2. Explain that as a race we have only explored 7% of the world’s oceans. If we’ve only explored that small amount of our own planet, imagine what we are yet to discover in the billions of other planets out there. What would they like to know?
3. Since the earth formed 5,000,000,000 years ago, humans have only been around for 0.0000004% of that time. We are not the end game for this planet. There’s been others before us and their will be others after we go.
4. Money will not make you happy, and neither will fame. Don’t aim for these goals as your ultimate destiny. Leave your mark in the minds of others as the one that did something remarkably beautiful.
5. Don’t stop learning until your passion is your profession. Don’t waste your life doing something you hate.
What others do you have?