Choosing the right school for your child is a crucial decision. Despite the many amazing features that schools promote, it is important to know what to look for before making a final decision. Here are the top ten questions to ask the principal:
- What is the school’s child protection policy? How often is staff trained on child protection and are background checks required for all staff?
- How does the school handle bullying? Who is responsible for addressing bullying incidents and what constitutes bullying at the school?
- How does the school encourage children to develop leadership skills? How does the school engage students with the real world?
- Does the school allow teachers to observe students in action? How are observations recorded and what are teachers looking for?
- How does the school teach soft skills like empathy, resilience, and time management? Are these skills integrated into the curriculum?
- How much professional development do teachers receive each year? Is there access to current teaching practices and innovations?
- How are the arts incorporated into the curriculum? How are subjects like art, drama, and dance integrated into other subjects?
- What is the school’s approach to assessment? How are assessments conducted and are all talents and skills celebrated or is there a focus on competition?
- What is the school’s policy on rewards and punishment? How are children rewarded and what happens when they violate rules?
- How does the school foster independence and confidence in students through the curriculum and routines?
Use these questions as a guide to help you make an informed decision for your child’s education.