Schools are the pillars of a community. It’s a place parents can gather, chat, trust and love. But to run a successful school, one needs to build a community that works together. Here are my top 5 tips for leaders to build their school community and their schools brand and reputation.
1. Believe in what you are doing. Only go into a leadership role if you truly believe in it. Otherwise the cracks will show and you’ll be deemed as a fraud.
2. Follow the rules. Don’t try to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes. The parents, the children or the government. If you’ve got nothing to hide then you’ll have more time to deliver quality education for all.
3. Listen to the children. If the children want something, they are your customers, they’re the ones you’ve gotta keep happy. Give them what they want, within reason.
4. Empower the parents. Build committees of parents that can activate larger parent groups. Involve them in the preparation of events or the organisation of improvements. You’ll be surprised how many skills parents have and how willing they are to help.
5. Don’t be shy. Tell the community who you are, what you believe and what you want to do for them. Everyone loves to know what’s coming up well in advance. A happy parent body is well informed❤️