Circle time is a time when you gather as a class to discuss the days events and open up about any issues you may have. It normally happens at the end of the day. It’s a time when the children have a voice to improve the room.
It’s important that children go home at the end of the day feeling good, and taking home a strong positive message. Circle time allows you to make this happen.
It’s appropriate for all age ranges and here are some of the things you can use it for;
1. Children can express something that they feel isn’t working in the classroom. “It would be nice if people could share their pencils with me tomorrow.”
2. The teacher can announce new initiatives in the room. “All children will be given a mood diary from tomorrow.”
3. The children can discuss things they have done at home.”
4. The teacher can tell a story with a strong moral.
5. The students can discuss something positive they saw today at school. “I was feeling really lonely but Thomas came to play with me.”
6. You can celebrate someone achievements. “Stephanie has brought her work on planets to share with the class”
There’s no edges on a circle so circle time let’s everyone feel as one, it allows the children to look each other in the eye and hear what they have to say.